Monday, November 12, 2007

Real Life Samaritan


I have a small story about my recent encounter with a Good Samaritan. This weekend, I went shopping for a gift for my mother for her upcoming birthday. I decided to go into this knick-knack shop because the little figurines in the window were both cute and eye catching. When I walked in, I was greeted with a pleasant smile and a "Hello! How are you today?". "Good, Thanks!" I replied. After looking around for a bit, I asked one of the workers if she had any lighthouse products, such as little lighthouse figurines, or a pillow, or anything really. My mother is a very picky person to buy for but if you give her something that even remotely resembles a lighthouse she will be pleased with you. Unfortunately, the woman told me that they had just packed all of their lighthouse and summer-related products away and brought out all of the winter and Christmas products in their place. She told me that if I left my name and number she would personally take her time to go into the storage room and search for two little lighthouse ornaments that she knew were back there. I left my information figuring that the woman was just saying this to be nice and not actually going to look for them, because I know that I myself have pulled that move a few times. To my surprise, I received a phone call Sunday night from the owner of the store saying she found the two lighthouse ornaments if I wanted to stop by Monday afternoon to pick them up. Of course, me knowing that I had limited time to buy my mother a birthday present that she would actually like, I walked back to the little shop on the corner and purchased the two ornaments. I thought this was a very kind gesture of this woman to take time out of her busy schedule to dig into a storage room looking for two miniature lighthouse items. This woman motivated me to follow through with my actions when I say that I am going to do something, and I am grateful that I now have a present to give to my mother that i know she will love!

No comments: