Sunday, November 25, 2007

Volunteer!

I have done a lot of my blogs on topics for the organizations that specifically enhance the acts of kindness experience. I decided to take a different approach to this blog. I wanted to research volunteer opportunities that people are involved with or can be involved with. I think it is just as important to associate people who volunteer with people who are doing random acts of kindness around the world.

While searching the web I found a website involved with the Good Samaritan Hunger Center. This website specifically asks for certain tasks from a person to volunteer. A person can volunteer their time and work at the center, or even just make food to donate to the center. Every little act from a person helps the center and makes a person’s like that much better. The website offers some statistics to help a person understand how important it is to volunteer. For example, the Good Samaritan Hunger Center cooks & prepares 12,500 hot meals annually; homemade soup also. This vision all started in 1982 by Sister Jordan and has grown ever since. I think this gives so many amazing opportunities for people to help out a lot of just a little. To find out how to help visit http://www.goodsamaritanhungercenter.org/home.html

I have taken it into my own hands to help the community and volunteer to help. The first weekend in December I am volunteering my time for an organization called Brian’s Walk. Brian’s Run began in 1978 as a one-time fund raising event to benefit Brian Bratcher. He was a West Chester Henderson High School football player who sustained a life-challenging spinal cord injury at the age of 15 during a scrimmage. His friends, family, and people around the world wanted to raise money to help him with this injury. Finally, after a few years he felt as if he had enough and wanted to pass the money that was raised each year to other deserving people. Little children up to adults participate in this event. I am very excited to be involved with such a program and I hope to learn a lot about this. To find out more visit http://www.briansrun.org/index.html

No comments: